Monday, August 17, 2009

Can we shutup about the f***ing faeries already?

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
-- Douglas Adams
So a friend of mine forwarded me a video. Really, it's pretty awesome. Basically, the universe is really big. Like, really.





It's a video that Carl Sagan would have no doubt loved to see. The knowledge of what I'm looking at here is awe inspiring. The commentary about the video though, is not. Instead of a focus on the magnitude of what is, I hear countless people remarking "Awesome, look at this, clearly there is no God!!!!"

Really people? Can't we just ... move on. Believe me, I have plenty to complain about when it comes to religion. Plenty. I don't however, spend all my time watching videos like this thinking, "wow they really were full of shit". You know what amazes me?

"God fearing" people that see that video are probably enjoying it more than the skeptical societies.

See, they actually get to enjoy it. True, there enjoyment is going to take the "look how awesome God is to have created all that" form. But, it's enjoyment and inspiration nonetheless. The atheist watching this as "ohhhh, proof the Goddies have it wrong", well, not so much.

To this day, I am amazed by the fact that we have such vocal groups here shouting their views, that neither extremist side gets to sit down and realize: most of us just don't give a damn. Sorry, it's true.

So, to the "ohhhhhh, look this proves there is a God" people and to the "ohhhhhh, look this proves God is bullshit" people - please shut the F*** up about the faeries, and let the rest of us enjoy the Garden, faeries or no.

No comments:

Post a Comment